This warm mocha smoothie recipe helps take the edge off of winter’s chill. A healthy balance of carbs, protein and good-for-you fats, it will kick-start your day.
Ripe bananas give smoothies a creamy texture. Keep them on hand in your freezer. To freeze, simply peel the ripe fruit, chop it into quarters and freeze the chunks on a baking sheet. Store them in a zip-top bag until you need a smoothie fix.
Contributing chef Matthew Kadey, RD is a registered dietitian and food writer. He is author of The Muffin Tin Chef (Ulysses Press), The No-Cook, No-Bake Cookbook (Ulysses Press) and, Rocket Fuel: Power-Packed Food for Sports and Adventure (VeloPress).Yields 1 serving
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 scoop plain, vanilla or chocolate protein powder of choice
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries
- 1 small banana
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, optional
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla protein)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1Place all ingredients in a blender container in the order listed.
2Process until smooth. Warm in the microwave if necessary.