Spiralized zucchini replaces carb-laden gluten-free noodles and fresh grape tomatoes replace marinara sauce for a healthy meal that’s lower in carbs and higher in fiber and nutrients. Make Classic Italian Meatballs using ground turkey for less fat and fewer calories. To save time, buy zucchini noodles in the produce section of your supermarket. Use thicker-cut noodles to help prevent them from overcooking.
Food editor Beth Hillson is a chef and cooking instructor. She is founder of Gluten-Free Pantry, one of the first gluten-free companies in the United States, and author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (Da Capo Lifelong).Yields 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 grape tomatoes, halved
- 12 ounces zucchini noodles or 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese of choice, optional
- 1 recipe Classic Italian Meatballs (using ground turkey)
1In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sauté an additional minute. Add zucchini noodles and sauté 3 minutes or just until slightly soft. Do not overcook or noodles will become mushy.
2Remove from heat. Toss with basil, salt and pepper.
3Transfer to a large serving bowl. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve with Classic Italian Meatballs made with turkey.