The grill is a great way to bake pizza without having to turn on the oven. With a few simple steps, it’s hot and ready in just minutes. To make this pizza in your oven, follow the same procedure but bake in preheated oven at 400°F.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
1 Hearty Pizza Dough or gluten-free crust of choice
Olive oil, for coating baking sheet or pizza stone
Egg yolk for brushing crust, optional
Butter or oil for brushing crust, optional
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup fresh mozzarella or dairy-free alternative, sliced or grated, optional
4 Campari tomatoes, sliced
2 tablespoons sliced fresh Italian basil
Fresh grated pepper, to taste
1. Prepare Hearty Pizza Dough or crust of choice. With wet hands, press dough onto a lightly oiled, parchment-lined baking sheet or pizza stone and let it rise. (Trim excess parchment paper so it doesn’t catch fire on the grill.) When risen, brush crust with egg yolk and/or butter, if desired, for a crispier golden crust.
2. Set your outdoor grill to high temperature and preheat to 400°F.
3. Parbake crust on preheated grill (with lid closed) 10 minutes.
4. Remove crust from grill. Spread tomato sauce evenly over crust. Arrange the mozzarella slices and tomato slices over crust and sprinkle with basil. Season with pepper.
5. Return pizza to preheated grill, close lid and grill until crust is golden brown on the bottom, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Each serving contains 173 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 29mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 5g protein, 14Est GL.
Contributor Mary Capone is author of The Gluten-Free Italian Cookbook (The Wheat Free Gourmet Press) and owner of Bella Gluten-Free, a company that produces healthy allergy-friendly baking mixes.