Photography by Jules Shepard
This festive gluten-free margarita cheesecake is sure to boost your spirits. Light and not too sweet, it’s the perfect cool finish to a late-summer meal. Slice and serve it cold with a dollop of whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream or a sprinkle of fresh berries. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
1¼ cups finely crushed gluten-free graham crackers
¼ cup butter or dairy-free butter alternative, melted
1 (16-ounce) package cream cheese of choice, room temperature
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons canned coconut milk (at least 12% fat)
¼ cup tequila
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
2 large eggs, room temperature
Zest from 2 limes
1 cup sour cream of choice
¼ cup sugar
½ tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
½ tablespoon tequila
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 10-inch pie plate or tart pan.
2. To make the gluten-free crust, place gluten-free graham cracker crumbs in a medium bowl. Mix in melted butter with a fork until crumbs hold together when pressed. Transfer mixture to prepared pie plate and press it into the bottom and up the sides (about 1 inch up) with a rubber spatula or your fingers. Place crust in preheated oven and bake 5 minutes.
3. To make the filling, whip cream cheese and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Scoop 3 tablespoons of cream off the top of canned coconut milk and add it to the bowl, along with tequila, lime juice and Grand Marnier. Blend until ingredients are well incorporated. Stir in eggs to combine. Fold in lime zest.
4. Pour filling into baked gluten-free crust and smooth it with a rubber spatula. Place in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes or until only slightly jiggly in the center.
5. While gluten-free cheesecake bakes, make the topping by stirring together sour cream, sugar, lime juice and tequila. Set aside.
6. Remove cheesecake from oven. Pour topping over the filling, smoothing it with a rubber spatula. Return cheesecake to preheated oven and bake 5 more minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack. When cool, refrigerate at least 3 hours before slicing and serving.
Recipe yields 12 servings. Each serving contains 328 calories, 24g total fat, 14g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 101mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 17g sugars, 4g protein, 14Est GL.
For Egg-Free Margarita Cheesecake, omit 2 eggs. Combine 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder with 3 tablespoons water or milk of choice. Stir well. Use this mixture to replace the eggs in step 3. Add 1 extra teaspoon Grand Marnier or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract in step 3.Yields 1 cake (12 slices)