BAKE: 55–65 minutes
MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE (8 SERVINGS).
Silky pumpkin filling, the aroma of warm spices and a flaky crust make this homemade pumpkin pie scrumptious. This recipe can be made egg-free; see instructions.
1 recipe unbaked Light & Flaky Pie Crust or unbaked gluten-free pie crust of choice
2¼ cups pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
½ cup full-fat coconut milk or heavy whipping cream
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup maple sugar or palm coconut sugar
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pie crust. Flute the edges. Use your fingers to repair any tears in the crust, if needed.
3. Place pumpkin puree, coconut milk, maple syrup, sugar, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large mixing bowl. Blend ingredients with an electric mixer until no lumps remain. Pour filling into prepared crust and lightly tap pan on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
4. Loosely cover the top of the pie with aluminum foil to prevent the top from browning too quickly.
5. Place pie on a baking sheet in preheated oven and bake 55 to 65 minutes until the center is firm. Remove the foil after 30 minutes to let the top brown.
6. Remove pie from the oven and let cool completely before slicing.
For Egg-Free Maple Pumpkin Pie, omit 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk. Mix 21/2 tablespoons VeganEgg egg replacer (followyourheart.com) with 10 tablespoons very cold water. Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder with 2 to 3 teaspoons water (enough to make a paste). Blend these two mixtures together in step 3 to replace the eggs. Bake the pie until the center is as firm as the sides (this could take 65 minutes or more). Let cool. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight to firm more. Serve at room temperature, if desired.
Each serving contains 331 calories, 16g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 110mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 9g sugars, 4g protein, 21Est GL.
Contributor Chrystal Carver is a gluten-free food blogger and author of Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less.Yields 8 servings