This recipe for macaroni and cheese is casserole-style with eggs, poured into a 9×13-inch baking dish, covered and baked until firm. This is also a great make-ahead dish. Just prepare the pasta and cheese mixture, pour it into a prepared baking dish, cover it tightly with foil and plastic wrap, and freeze it. When you’re ready to serve it, there’s no need to defrost it first. Just remove the plastic wrap but retain the foil, pop it in a preheated oven and bake until it’s bubbling and the eggs are set. This recipe can be made dairy-free and egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked gluten-free short pasta (elbows, penne, small shells, etc.)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
12 ounces cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta al dente (shave a couple of minutes off the package directions). Drain pasta and return it to the hot pot, off the stovetop.
3. Add butter to the pot of hot pasta and toss gently until butter is entirely melted. This should take 2 minutes or less.
4. Beat eggs in a separate medium bowl.
Add milk, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add a few tablespoons of hot pasta to egg mixture. This will temper the eggs by slowly coaxing them up to a warmer temperature.
5. Add egg mixture to pasta pot. Then add grated cheese and stir gently to combine without breaking the pasta.
6. Spread entire mixture evenly into prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake 25 minutes or until it’s bubbling around the edges and the eggs are set. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes until browned on top.
8. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Slice into squares and serve.
For Dairy-Free Macaroni & Cheese, replace the butter with an equal amount of buttery sticks (Earth Balance). Replace the evaporated milk with an equal amount of full-fat canned coconut milk. Use a dairy-free shredded cheddar cheese alternative (Daiya) in place of the grated cheddar cheese.
For Egg-Free Macaroni & Cheese, omit the eggs. Reduce the butter by 3 to 4 tablespoons.
Each serving contains 575 calories, 33g total fat, 19g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 193mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 6g sugars, 24g protein, 27Est GL.
Recipes excerpted from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: 125 Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap, (2nd edition) by Nicole Hunn. Copyright © 2017. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc. Photography by Jean Schwarzwalder.Yields 8 servings