These allergy-friendly cupcakes are light and fluffy with a lemony-tang flavor and bits of fresh strawberries that melt in your mouth. With no gluten, dairy or eggs, almost everyone can partake and enjoy. They’re an ideal summer dessert, great for family get-togethers and outdoor picnics with friends. Frost with your favorite icing, eat them plain or top with Mimic Crème Topping, if nuts are tolerated.
2¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, divided
1 cup coconut flour
½ cup millet flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons arrowroot
1 cup butter or dairy-free butter alternative
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups light coconut milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 cupcake tins.
2. Mix first 9 ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. Set aside ¼ cup of this dry mixture to roll berries in.
3. In a mixer bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, coconut milk, lemon juice and zest. Beat until fluffy.
4. Roll strawberries in ¼ cup flour mixture until coated. Set aside.
5. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients 1 cup at a time. Continue beating, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as you beat mixture. When all is mixed well, fold in strawberries with spatula, just until they are distributed evenly.
6. Spoon batter evenly into cupcake tins using an ice cream dipper. (Fill to the top or slightly mounded in the center.)
7. Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool at least an hour to firm the berries. Alternatively, after cupcakes are cool to handle, refrigerate for half an hour.
Each cupcake without frosting contains 236 calories, 10g total fat, 6g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 20g cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 36g total carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 2g protein.
If nuts are tolerated, Mimic Crème* is a flavorful alternative to dairy-full heavy cream. This topping should be chilled and is not recommended for hot outdoor gatherings.
½ cup Mimic Crème
¼ cup diced strawberries
1 tablespoon arrowroot
3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1. Combine all ingredients in bowl and beat for about 3 minutes or until fluffy. (Mimic Crème will double in volume.) Add more sugar if topping is not stiff enough. Chill.
2. Put a whopping tablespoon on top of each cupcake. Alternatively, cut a little indentation in the top each cupcake, removing about 1 tablespoon of cupcake; place a dollop of topping in the indentation.
Recipe by Madalene Rhyand, director of Living Without’s test kitchen.