Spoon this tangy sauce over grilled chicken thighs for incredible flavor. This recipe makes enough sauce for more than just one meal. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for serveral days.
Food editor Beth Hillson is a chef and cooking instructor. She is founder of Gluten-Free Pantry, one of the first gluten-free companies in the United States, and author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (Da Capo Lifelong).Yields 4 cups
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth, more if needed to thin sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 3½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or 2 whole allspice
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
1Place all ingredients in a small saucepan, stirring to combine.
2Cover pan and simmer on low heat 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.