Cut flatbread in half horizontally for a hearty sandwich or slice it vertically in smaller pieces for lighter appetites.
4 halves Italian Flatbread, cut vertically to make small, narrow sandwiches or cut horizontally to make half sandwiches
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Pecorino Romano Pesto or gluten-free prepared pesto
1 cup mayonnaise or egg-free substitute
4 thin slices cooked chicken breast
4 slices firm white cheese or dairy- free cheese replacement, optional
1 jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
⅓ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1½ teaspoons baking powder (if using flax gel, increase to 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 eggs or 3 egg whites or flax gel
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free margarine, melted
½ cup yogurt or dairy-free yogurt
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Lightly brush slices of Italian Flatbread with olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix pesto and mayonnaise to make aioli. Spread pesto aioli on each slice of bread. Place chicken, cheese and red pepper over prepared bread.
3. Cover with remaining bread slice, cut to size and wrap with plastic wrap.
TIP For home-cooked chicken, pound one chicken breast until ¼-inch thick. Marinate for 2 hours in gluten-free Italian dressing. Remove from marinade and pat dry. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Sauté chicken breast until tender, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until mixture is a lemon color. Add butter, yogurt, water and vinegar and mix.
4. With a spatula, slowly fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Batter will be sticky. Divide batter in half, placing each half on opposite sides of prepared baking sheet.
5. With floured fingertips, shape each flour mixture into a hamburger-shaped mound. Score the top into fourths with a floured knife.
6. Place dough in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes. If bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Remove bread from oven when done and cool on a rack.
Each sandwich with Pecorino Romano Pesto contains 936 calories, 62g total fat, 17g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 188mg cholesterol, 1465mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 24g protein.
Each serving contains 335 calories,10g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 125mg cholesterol,871mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 6g protein.
Yields 4 flatbreads