This recipe was originally published in 2015.
A cross between apple muffin and carrot cake, this moist gluten-free harvest muffins are a crowd-pleaser as a lunch or dinner bread. The optional streusel topping makes it a hit for breakfast, too. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
For Egg-Free Harvest Muffins, omit 2 eggs. Combine 1 tablespoon Ener-G replacement with the orange juice in the recipe. Stir well. Use this mixture to replace the 2 eggs in step 3. Test after baking 30 minutes and bake in increments of 5 minutes until done.Yields 12 servings
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 cups peeled, cored, diced apples
- 1 cup grated carrots, packed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil of choice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar, loosely packed
- 2 cups + 1/2 cup Jules’ Homemade All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, Earth Balance buttery sticks or dairy-free butter replacement of choice
1Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease a large 12-cup muffin tin or line cups with muffin papers.
2Place raisins in a bowl. Cover with hot water and set aside. Prepare apples and carrots and set aside.
3Combine applesauce, oil, eggs, juice and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
4In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, 2 cups flour blend, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt. Add this dry mixture to wet mixture, beating until smooth.
5Fold in apples and carrots to combine. Thoroughly drain raisins and add to batter.
6Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
7To make streusel topping, combine ½ cup flour blend, ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter with a knife or fork to disperse. Alternatively, combine all topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until ingredients are combined and mixture is crumbly. Crumble topping onto each muffin evenly.
8Place in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out dry with only a few crumbs attached.
9Remove from oven and let muffins cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.