PREP: 20 minutes | BAKE: 40–45 minutes
Loaf cakes are lovely to have around. Their smaller size and simplicity means they’re the perfect option for those ‘just because’ days when a cake seems essential but there’s no particular celebration. If you don’t like poppy seeds, leave them out. For variation, replace the lemon zest and lemon juice with another citrus fruit. Orange or lime versions are just as delicious. This cake can be made egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 10 SLICES (1 LOAF).
1 cup whole milk or full-fat coconut milk (not coconut beverage)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
2 large eggs
1 and ¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
3.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
1.25 cups sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, or non-hydrogenated shortening
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Crème fraîche or dairy-free whipped topping, optional
Freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8.5×4.5-inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine milk, oil and eggs.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add flour blend, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, sugar, lemon zest and softened butter. Slowly mix ingredients together until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Continue to mix on slow speed and pour in wet ingredients. Once combined, increase speed to medium and beat 3 to 5 minutes until batter thickens. Add poppy seeds and mix until evenly distributed.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan and level with the back of a spatula.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes until loaf has risen, is golden and springs back when pressed lightly on the top. Remove from oven and insert a toothpick into the center. It should come out clean or with a few crumbs but without any wet batter clinging to it.
6. Place pan on a wire rack and let rest 1 to 2 minutes while preparing the glaze.
7. To make glaze, combine lemon juice and ½ cup sugar in a bowl.
8. Without removing cake from pan, prick the surface all over with a fork or skewer and pour glaze over the top. (It’s important to do this while the cake is still warm.) Let cake cool completely in pan to give glaze time to set.
9. Remove loaf from pan by loosening edges with a table knife if necessary. Slice and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or dairy-free whipped topping, if desired.
Loaf yields 10 slices. Each slice with glaze contains 329 calories, 10g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 37g sugars, 3g protein, 40Est GL.
Each tablespoon of glaze contains 32 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 8g sugars, 0g protein, 6Est GL.
For an Egg-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf, omit 2 eggs. Reduce milk to 3/4 cup and reduce butter to 4 tablespoons. Combine 4 tablespoons Follow Your Heart VeganEgg with 1/2 cup ice-cold water or milk of choice and mix thoroughly. Add this mixture to wet ingredients in step 2 to replace 2 eggs. If the cake is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with foil and bake up to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
Test Kitchen Notes
Flour Blend: For these cake recipes, we used Gluten Free & More’s All-Purpose Flour Blend with great success. Choose an all-purpose blend composed of gluten-free white flours and starches for best results.
Egg-Free Cake: We used Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg to replace the eggs in these cakes and got excellent results. See our egg-free instructions after each recipe.
Cookbook author Victoria Hall is founder and owner of 2 Oxford Place, a 100% gluten-free restaurant located in Leeds, UK. Recipes and photos excerpted with permission from This Is Gluten-Free: Delicious Gluten-Free Recipes to Bake It Better (Ryland Peters & Small) by Victoria Hall.Yields 10 slices