This light, fluffy dish can be enjoyed hot from the oven or cold as leftovers. It travels well.
TIP: Pressed for time? Use 3 cups canned sweet potatoes, drained and mashed, instead of baking your own.Yields 8 servings
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, boiled or microwaved, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter or dairy-free substitute
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup sour cream or dairy-free substitute
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or dairy-free substitute
- ½-¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour of choice
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans, optional
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 1½-quart baking dish.
2In a large bowl, stir together mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, spices and sour cream. Add baking soda and salt, mixing well. Stir in raisins, if desired.
3Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes until the center is no longer jiggly.
4Prepare topping by combining melted butter, brown sugar, flour, coconut and pecans, if desired, in a bowl.
5Remove casserole from oven and sprinkle topping over the top. Return casserole to the oven for 10 more minutes or until lightly browned.