[Updated October 4, 2018]
This quick gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin pie recipe doesn’t need a crust. The flour settles to the bottom, forming a natural crust. It can be made two days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
*TIP: If using a commercial all-purpose flour blend that does not contain xanthan gum, add ½ teaspoon xanthan gum to the dry ingredients. Results may vary, depending on flour blend.
Recipe by Jules Shepard, author of Free for All Cooking: 150 Easy, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes the Whole Family Can Enjoy.Yields 8 servings
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 3/4 cup milk or dairy-free vanilla-flavor milk of choice
- 3/4 cup cream or dairy-free liquid vanilla creamer
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup Jules’ Flour Blend or gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg + 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves)
1Preheat oven to 450ºF. Butter or spray with cooking oil a 10-inch pie plate and one ramekin.
2Mix together all liquid ingredients in one bowl and whisk together the dry ingredients in another. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the liquid bowl while stirring. Beat until totally combined.
3Pour batter into prepared pie plate, leaving at least ¼ inch between the batter and the rim of the pie plate. Pour any remaining batter into prepared ramekin(s). Smooth the top of the pie with a rubber spatula.
4Place pie in preheated over and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375ºF and bake for 30 more minutes or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.