This recipe was originally published in 2009.
Melted chocolate imparts a deceptively rich taste to this light dessert. Edge your pie with a garnish of slivered toasted almonds or fresh sliced strawberries or serve each piece with a dollop of whipped topping dusted with cocoa powder.Yields 8 servings
- 1 + 1/2 cups almond flour (finely ground almonds)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine, melted
- 1 egg (may be omitted if eggs are a problem)
- 10 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 (8-ounce) container dairy-free whipped topping, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan with vegetable oil. Set aside.
2In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Add melted margarine and mix well.
3In small bowl, beat the egg with a whisk until foamy and add to the almond mixture. Mix well and pat into the bottom of the pie pan.
4Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. If crust rises, poke it with a fork and press it down. Let cool.
5Melt chocolate with margarine in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave on medium power. Let cool slightly, but do not let chocolate solidify. Fold in whipped topping and vanilla.
6Pour filling over crust. Smooth the top and garnish. Chill for 2 hours or overnight. Serve and enjoy.