Oranges and mint lend elegance to this simple recipe, a sophisticated spin on traditional cranberry sauce. Serve it warm or chilled.
1 cup water
1 pound fresh cranberries, washed and drained
1 cup sugar or palm sugar
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
– Zest of ½ blood orange or Clementine
4 blood oranges or Clementines, peeled and segmented, pith and membranes removed
1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced with three leaves for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a simmer.
2. Add cranberries, sugar, orange juice and zest. Stir until sugar is dissolved and cranberries begin to pop, about 20 to 25 minutes. Sauce will begin to thicken. If sauce doesn’t thicken in 25 minutes, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Add orange segments, stirring to combine.
4. Gently stir in fresh mint. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.