Makes about 100 1½-inch squares.
These crunchy crackers are sturdy enough to support dips, hummus or tapenade and yummy on their own. Vary the seeds and herbs to suit your palate. Store in an airtight container until eaten.
1½ cups All-Purpose Flour Blend, more for dusting 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
2 tablespoons neutral oil
½ cup less 1 teaspoon water
1 tablespoon toppings of choice (sesame seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper, nutritional yeast)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat.
2. Whisk together flour blend, salt, rosemary and black pepper. Slowly add honey, oil and water, stirring until dry ingredients are incorporated and a dough is formed. (Add only as much water as needed for dough to hold together; it should not be super-sticky.)
3. Divide dough in half. Cover one half with plastic wrap and set aside.
4. Dust prepared baking sheet or a silicone mat with flour blend. Roll half the dough in the flour and pat gently to flatten. Dust top of dough with more gluten-free flour.
5. From the center out, roll the dough out into a thin, even sheet, no more than 1/8-inch thick. Brush or spray lightly with water. Sprinkle toppings of choice over dough.
6. Using a pizza cutter, pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut dough horizontally and then vertically to form crackers. Prick each segment with a fork to prevent puffing during baking.
7. Roll out remaining half of dough in the same way.
8. Place crackers in preheated oven and bake 14 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
9. Remove to cool on a wire rack. Crackers will get crisper as they cool. Break crackers apart at cut edges.
Each cracker contains 10 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 0g protein, 1Est GL.
Jules Shepard is author of Free for All Cooking (Da Capo Lifelong); The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free (Da Capo Lifelong); and Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten-Free Eating (BookSurge Publishing). She is founder of GFJules gluten-free flour blends and baking mixes.Yields 100 crackers