This recipe was originally published in 2013.
This cornbread is slightly sweet with a spicy twist. Serve it as a special dinner bread or crumble it to make Cracked Pepper Cornbread and Apple Stuffing. It can be made 1 to 2 days ahead. For egg-free cornbread, see instructions below.
For Egg-Free Cracked Pepper Cornbread, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons hot water. Let sit 5 minutes until thickened. Then add to the recipe to replace 2 eggs.Yields 9 servings
- ¾ cup Mary’s All-Purpose Baking Flour Blend
- ¾ cup gluten-free cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns, crushed to a coarse meal, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cups coconut milk, buttermilk or dairy-free milk of choice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, such as grape seed oil or canola oil
1Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil one 9x9-inch baking pan.
2In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend, cornmeal, sugar, peppercorns, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3In another bowl, blend together eggs, milk and oil.
4Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and stir until combined. Batter will be thick.
5Transfer batter to prepared pan and place in preheated oven. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan.