Indulge your palate with the rich taste of crab and cheese. This savory quiche is best made a day ahead, allowing the flavors to meld. In the morning, just reheat. Quiche can be baked, sliced into servings and frozen up to a month. This recipe can be made crab-free and egg-free; see instructions.
For Egg-Free Quiche, omit 3 eggs. Combine 6 tablespoons of Follow Your Heart VeganEgg with 1/2 cup ice-cold water; mix until smooth. Use this mixture to replace the eggs in step 2. If the crust is browning too fast when baking, cover the quiche with foil after 20 minutes in the oven.
For Crab-Free Quiche, omit the crab. Sauté 8 ounces chopped mushrooms in a skillet until browned. Drain mushrooms on paper towels. Then place mushrooms in pie crust in place of crab meat in step 3.
Contributor Kathryn Brown Chadbourn lives in Minnesota.Yields 8 servings
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or canned coconut cream
- ½ cup whole milk of choice
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4½ ounces cooked crab meat or 1 (6-ounce) can crab meat, drained
- 2 cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese or grated dairy-free cheese of choice
- 3-4 small green onions, minced
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked GF pie crust or gluten-free crust of choice
1Preheat oven to 425°F.
2In a large bowl, whisk together whipping cream, milk, beaten eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
3Spread drained crab meat, cheese and green onions over pie crust. Pour in whipping cream mixture.
4Place quiche in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes. The top of the quiche should be golden brown.
5Remove from oven and let cool. Then slice into servings, cover quiche and refrigerate.
6The next morning, preheat oven to 250°F. Reheat chilled quiche 15 to 20 minutes or until quiche is hot.