This whimsical pie is destined to become a household favorite. Consider serving it a la mode with Coconut Bliss’ Dairy-Free Ice Cream. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
2 large eggs
¼ cup melted coconut oil
¼ cup coconut sugar
3 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅔ cup gluten-free quick-cook oats
⅓ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¾ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped walnuts, optional
¼ cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
¼ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of 8-inch round cake pan or a springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides of the pan.
2. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in coconut oil, coconut sugar, honey and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate large bowl, combine oats, coconut flour, ginger, allspice, baking soda and salt.
4. Add wet ingredients to the oat mixture, stirring gently until combined. Fold in walnuts (if using), dried cherries and chocolate chips. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and spread to edges in an even layer.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 25 minutes or until the center is set and edges are golden brown. Let cool a few minutes before removing from pan. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into wedges and serve.
Each serving contains 232 calories, 11g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 53mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 17g sugars, 4g protein, 17 Est Gl.
For Egg-Free Coconut Granola Cookie Pie, omit 2 eggs Use Pomona’s Universal Pectin to make calcium water. (Follow package instructions.) In a small saucepan, combine 1 teaspoon pectin with 2 to 3 tablespoons calcium water to make a smooth paste. Stir in oil, coconut sugar and honey. Heat slowly, stirring until mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and blend. Add 1 additional teaspoon baking powder to dry ingredients in step 3. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons water to help combine dry and wet ingredients, if needed. After baking and cooling, refrigerate the pie 2 to 3 hours to firm. Cut and serve at room temperature.