This recipe was originally published in 2013.
Here’s a delicious twist on an old favorite. Add chocolate ganache to traditional pumpkin pie and top it with cocoa whipped cream or dairy-free topping for a memorable holiday dessert. This recipe uses 1 Sweet Pastry Crust. Save the second crust for another use. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
Cocoa Whipped Cream
MAKES 2 CUPS.
If you can’t tolerate dairy, use a dairy-free coconut whipped topping instead.
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1. With a hand mixer, beat together all ingredients until cream forms soft peaks. Don’t over-whip. Refrigerate until ready for use.
Recipe by Living Without contributor Mary Capone, author of The Gluten-Free Italian Cookbook.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut milk, coconut creamer or milk alternative
- ½ cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 uncooked gluten-free pie crust or 1 recipe Sweet Pastry Crust
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1To make filling, whisk together all filling ingredients. Set aside to let flavors combine.
2To make Chocolate Ganache, heat milk in small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Place chopped chocolate in a bowl. Pour hot milk over chocolate and let sit 1 to 2 minutes. Stir to combine until chocolate has melted.
3Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
4If using Sweet Pastry Crust, remove 1 dough disk (half of the recipe) from refrigerator. Roll dough disk between parchment paper or wax paper to over-hang the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Transfer dough to prepared pie plate, allowing dough to over-hang edges by about ½ inch.
5Add half ganache to the bottom of the pie crust.
6Transfer pumpkin filling to crust. Spread remaining ganache on top and using a butter or pastry knife, swirl ganache into filling.
7Place pie in preheated oven and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set.