BAKE: 50–60 minutes
Chocolate chips are an essential component of blondies and this recipes calls for a combination of semisweet and white chocolate chips. Not all brands of chocolate are processed in a gluten-free facility, so read labels carefully. For gluten-free and allergy-friendly brands, see Shopping List. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
MAKES 16 BARS.
1 + 3/4 cups (8 ounces) ATK Gluten-Free All- Purpose Flour Blend
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F. Make a foil sling for an 8-inch square baking pan by folding 2 long sheets of aluminum foil so each is 8 inches wide. Lay sheets of foil in pan perpendicular to each other, with extra foil hanging over edges. Push foil into corners and up sides of pan, smoothing foil flush to pan. Spray with vegetable oil spray.
2. Whisk flour blend, salt, baking powder and xanthan gum together in bowl.
3. In large bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together until no lumps remain. Whisk in eggs, milk and vanilla until very smooth. Stir in flour mixture with rubber spatula until flour is completely incorporated and batter is homogeneous, about 1 minute. Fold in white chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top with spatula.
4. Place blondies in preheated oven and bake until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour, rotating pan halfway through baking.
5. Let blondies cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours. Using foil overhang, remove blondies from pan. Cut into 16 pieces and serve.
Each blondie contains 228 calories, 8g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 40mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 26g sugars, 2g protein, 25Est GL.
Notes from Gluten Free & More‘s Test Kitchen
If you use your favorite gluten-free all-purpose blend in this recipe, your results may vary. These blondies can be made dairy-free by following these instructions:
For Dairy-Free Blondies, replace the butter with an equal amount of Earth Balance buttery sticks. Replace the milk with an equal amount of plant milk of choice. Replace the dry milk powder in ATK Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend with an equal amount of dry soy milk or powdered coconut milk.
Recipes reprinted with permission from The Perfect Cookie: Your Ultimate Guide to Foolproof Cookies, Brownies and Bars by the Editors at America’s Test Kitchen. Cookie photography by Daniel J. van Ackere. Cookbook cover photography by Carl Tremblay. Not all recipes in this book are gluten-free.