Photography by Jules Shepard
The aroma of yeasty gluten-free beer bread baking is matched only by the heavenly texture of this warm crusty loaf when it’s fresh from the oven. The flavor of the gluten-free bread changes depending on the beer you choose—gluten-free ale, IPA, lager, stout, honey beer…so many delicious options! This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
3 large eggs, room temperature
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2¾ cups All-Purpose Flour Blend, more for rolling dough
½ cup almond meal
¼ cup plain dry gluten-free potato flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup (8 ounces) gluten-free beer, sparkling water, club soda or ginger ale, room temperature
2¼ teaspoons (1 packet) rapid rise yeast or bread machine yeast
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, olive oil, honey and apple cider vinegar.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together flour blend, almond meal, potato flakes, sugar and salt.
4. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour dry ingredients into egg mixture to combine. Continue beating while slowly pouring in the beer. Once beer is incorporated, add yeast and beat until the batter is smooth. Then increase mixing speed and beat 4 minutes.
5. Generously dust a pastry mat or clean counter with flour blend. Place dough on prepared surface and roll it gently in the flour to cover all sides and form a ball. (Wet your hands to smooth the ball first, if necessary.)
6. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Wet a large serrated knife and press it into the dough in 2 or 3 lines, rocking the knife back and forth to open the cuts slightly wider. (This gives the loaf natural rifts and makes it even prettier when baked.)
7. Cover dough loosely with oiled parchment paper and place in a warm spot 30 to 60 minutes to rise.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove parchment paper from dough.
9. Place dough in preheated oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until done. Begin testing at 35 minutes with an instant-read thermometer to ensure bread is fully baked before removing it from the oven. Bread is done when internal temperature is 205°F.
10. Remove loaf from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Loaf yields 12 slices. Each slice contains 221 calories, 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 53mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 4g protein, 22Est GL.
For Egg-Free Artisan Beer Bread, omit 3 eggs. Combine 3 tablespoons golden flax meal with 7 tablespoons hot water to make a gel. Let cool. Use this mixture to replace 2 eggs in step 2.
TIP For an extra-crunchy crust, lightly spritz the dough with water right before it goes into the oven. For a thicker crust, place an oven-safe pan filled with hot water in the bottom of the oven while the loaf bakes.Yields 1 loaf (12 slices)