These crisp, spicy cauliflower fritters make a perfect party appetizer or vegetarian entrée. For a delicious accompaniment, serve them with Lemon Yogurt Sauce for dipping. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
Contributing chef Mary Capone is author of The Gluten Free Cookbook: Classic Cuisine from the Italian Countryside (The Wheat Free Gourmet Press) and founder of Bella Gluten-Free.Yields 16 fritters
- ½ head fresh cauliflower, chopped
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
- 3 large eggs
- 3 stems green onion, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, grape seed oil or Spectrum Organic Shortening, more if needed
- Lemon wedges, for garnish, optional
- 1 recipe Lemon Yogurt Sauce, optional
1Place chopped cauliflower in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to boil and cook until fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Let cool slightly.
2In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend, eggs, green onion, parsley, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to make a batter.
3Chop cauliflower florets into pea-size pieces and add to batter. Mix together, mashing cauliflower into batter.
4Place coconut oil in a large sauté pan and heat until pan is hot and slightly smoking. Add 1 heaping tablespoon of batter to pan. Repeat until pan is full but not overcrowded. Fry fritters until golden brown, adjusting heat as you go to let fritters cook through without browning too quickly, about 3 minutes per side.
5Transfer fritters to a warm platter. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired, and serve with Lemon Yogurt Sauce.
Lemon Yogurt Sauce
PREP: 5 minutes
MAKES ½ CUP.
This simple sauce balances the spiciness of the fritters and adds fresh flavor to your plate.
1 (6-ounce) container plain yogurt of choice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add plain yogurt, chives, parsley, lemon zest and juice to small bowl and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Each tablespoon of Lemon Yogurt Sauce contains 14 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 3mg cholesterol, 22mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1g sugars, 1g protein, 1Est GL.