These crunchy chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, fiber and good carbohydrates. Vegan and free from the top food allergens, they’re fun to munch at the lunch table and after school. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
MAKES 2 TO 3 CUPS.
2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 tablespoon coconut oil or oil of choice
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in the center of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a colander, drain and rinse chickpeas. Spread chickpeas in an even layer on a paper towel and pat dry. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
3. Place in preheated oven and bake 45 minutes.
4. While chickpeas are roasting, combine coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon in a small bowl.
5. Remove roasted chickpeas from oven and toss with maple syrup mixture.
6. Return pan to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
Each 1-cup serving contains 267 calories, 6g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 11g fiber, 11g sugars, 12g protein, 17Est GL.
Contributor Chrystal Carver is a gluten-free food blogger and author of Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less.Yields 3 cups