CHILL: 30 minutes
These no-bake bars are nutritious and filling–a quick breakfast and a great snack. Cocoa, chocolate chips and cherries offer antioxidants while oats and protein powder provide fiber and nutrients.
MAKES 10 BARS.
1 cup gluten-free brown rice cereal
1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
5 tablespoons chocolate or vanilla protein powder (1.2-ounce pack)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup smooth almond butter or sunflower seed butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup milk of choice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Line an 8×8-inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly spray foil or parchment with vegetable oil to prevent bars from sticking.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown rice cereal, oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, cherries and salt. Mix well.
3. In a small bowl, heat almond butter and honey in the microwave for 20 seconds and mix well. Stir in milk and vanilla.
4. Pour warm mixture over cereal mixture and stir until ingredients are evenly coated. Dough will be very thick.
5. Press dough evenly into prepared pan and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before cutting.
TIPS: Use gluten-free rolled oats in this recipe, not steel-cut oats or quick oats.
Cut the bars on a cutting board. Use a pizza wheel to slice them cleanly into equal pieces.
Each bar containss 266 calories, 17g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 10g sugars, 6g protein, 12Est GL.
Food editor Beth Hillson is a chef and cooking instructor. She is founder of Gluten-Free Pantry, one of the first gluten-free companies in the United States, and author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and, The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (Da Capo Lifelong).