1 cup (16 tablespoons) butter-flavored vegetable shortening
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
½ tsp gluten-free almond extract or flavoring
1 cup white rice flour
½ cup almond flour or finely ground almonds, lightly toasted
½ cup potato starch
½ tsp xanthan or guar gum
¾ tsp gluten-free baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon water
48 whole almonds
1. In a large bowl, beat shortening until light and fluffy. Add both sugars and beat until light. Add egg and almond extract and beat well.
2. Combine flour mixture and add to shortening mixture. Beat just to combine. Chill for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into 3/4 inch balls. Set 2 inches apart on oil or parchment-lined cookie sheets.
4. Press an almond into the center of each cookie. Brush with egg yolk and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Let cool on pan before removing.
Reprinted courtesy of Gluten Free Pantry.