Finding dairy-free cherry cordials in the store is almost impossible so this recipe comes to the rescue. Maraschino cherries made without corn syrup, artificial flavors and colors are available from Tillen Farms and Trader Joe’s.
MAKES 9 CHERRY CORDIALS.
1 (9-ounce) jar sour cherry spread, preferably no sugar added
9 maraschino cherries
4 ounces dairy-free chocolate
1. Fill 9 cavities of a deep truffle mold about half full with sour cherry spread.
2. Press 1 whole maraschino cherry into each cavity. Top each with more sour cherry spread, as needed.
3. Insert a toothpick into the middle of each maraschino cherry and place the mold in the freezer at least 8 hours. (Filling will freeze but not harden completely.)
4. Gently melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
5. Remove the mold from the freezer. Pressing each cavity from the bottom up, gently pop the filling out of each mold. (Don’t pull filling out by the toothpicks.) If a little bit remains in the cavity, scoop it out and press it back into place.
6. Dip each candy by its toothpick into the melted chocolate. Remove candy and twist the toothpick between your fingers to dry the chocolate coating. (It only takes a few seconds to dry.)
7.Place candy on a sheet of unbleached parchment paper and carefully remove toothpicks. Let cordials thaw to room temperature or refrigerate for firmer candies.
TIP: To make Sour Cherry Cordials without maraschino cherries, combine the sour cherry spread with ⅛ teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia (more to taste). Fill the truffle mold with this mixture in step 1 and freeze. Proceed with recipe as instructed but without the maraschino cherries.