Shortbread is very versatile and easy to make. The dough can be rolled out immediately after mixing (no chilling required) and it takes color dyes very well, a plus for Christmas cookies. Use this recipe for Linzers, Cut-Out Cookies, Stained Glass Cookies and Festive Fruit Bars. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to a week. They freeze very well.
4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter or Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks
1½ cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3¼ cups white rice flour + ½ cup for dusting counter
1½ cups cornstarch
1¼ cups potato starch
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Using a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl with a spatula.
3. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix for 1 minute. Add the vanilla. Scrape the bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, combine 3¼ cups flour, cornstarch, potato starch, salt and xanthan gum. Add ½ butter and sugar mixture and mix for 1 minute. Add the second half and mix until ingredients are combined.
5. Divide the dough into 3 balls. Set two aside.
6. Dust your counter or rolling board with flour. Press the ball flat with your hands first. Then roll dough out to just over ¼-inch thick. Using your favorite cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place them on prepared cookie sheets about 1 inch apart.
7. Bake in preheated oven about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on your oven. Cookies are done when they just start to get golden around the edges. Remove from oven and place them on a cooling rack. When cool, decorate cookies with Royal Icing.
Each cookie contains 175 calories, 8g total fat,3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 9mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, .05g fiber, 1g protein.
MAKES 1½ CUPS
3½ cups confectioner’s sugar
2 large pasturized egg whites or powdered egg whites mixed with water to equal 2 whites
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1. Beat sugar and egg whites in a bowl until thick and shiny, about 4 minutes.
2. Add lemon juice and beat 1 more minute.
3. Divide icing into bowls and dye with food coloring to desired colors.