Topped with flaky Sundried Tomato Drop Biscuits, this hearty stew is flavorful and will satisfy a big appetite. Prepare the biscuits as the stew simmers on the stove.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
3 cups chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
3 sprigs fresh thyme, stemmed and chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, stemmed and chopped
1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1½ teaspoons sea salt, optional
½ teaspoon black pepper, optional
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons potato starch (not potato flour)
-Sundried Tomato Drop Biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Set out a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan or stockpot. Add onions and cook about 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, sweet potato and mushrooms and sauté until vegetables take on color, about 5 minutes.
3. Add broth, chicken, thyme, parsley, sage, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes uncovered, reducing liquid. Adjust flavor with salt and pepper, if desired. Remove bay leaf before continuing.
4. Mix together water and potato starch. Mixture will be thick but you should be able to stir it. Add half this mixture to the chicken stew and simmer until stew thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Add more to achieve desired thickness. Stew will continue to thicken when baked in the oven.
5. Transfer stew to a 9×13-inch baking dish. Space uncooked Sundried Tomato Drop Biscuits evenly over top of stew. Place dish in preheated oven and bake until biscuits are light golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Each serving contains 467 calories, 18g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 87mg cholesterol, 1047mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 8g sugars, 14g protein, 31 Est GL. Salt may be adjusted or eliminated to reduce sodium content.