This one-pot meal is an easy version of beef bourguignon. The combination of slow-cooked beef, mushrooms, root vegetables, bacon and wine makes an extraordinarily flavorful dish. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice or enjoy it plain.
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
1½ pounds round roast, stew beef or cut of choice, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 pound mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, oyster, Portobello or combination), sliced
3 tablespoons Mary’s Baking Flour Blend
3 cloves garlic, smashed
4 sprigs fresh thyme, stemmed and finely chopped
1 bay leaf, whole
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh sage or ½ teaspoon dry sage
3 cups gluten-free beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon sea salt
-Pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof saucepan. Add bacon and sauté until it’s brown and fat is rendered. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon pieces and set aside.
3. Pat beef cuts with paper towels to dry. Add meat to the hot oil in the ovenproof pan and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes a side. To avoid crowding the pan, work in batches. Set browned beef aside. Add onions, carrots and mushrooms to the pan and simmer until lightly colored, about 3 minutes.
4. Return beef to the pan. Sprinkle flour blend over beef and vegetables and toss to coat. Add garlic, herbs, beef broth, wine, reserved bacon, salt and pepper and return to simmer.
5. Cover the saucepan and place it in preheated oven. Bake 2 hours. Remove bay leaf and serve hot.
Each serving contains 343 calories, 12g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 102mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 5g sugars, 36g protein, 7 Est GL. Salt may be adjusted or eliminated to reduce sodium content.
MAKES 6 CUPS
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each serving contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.