Here’s a tasty way to use over-ripe bananas. This recipe makes moist breakfast bread (great toasted) and flavorful French toast. I use it to make a nut-butter sandwich. Delicious!
2⅓ cups gluten-free high-protein flour blend
⅔ cups coconut flour
¼ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon xanthan
2 packages instant dry yeast
⅔ cup (2 large) ripe bananas, mashed
1 large egg, room temperature
½ cup warm coconut milk
½ cup warm water, additional as needed
2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×4-inch bread pan and sprinkle with cornmeal or rice flour.
2. Combine flour blend, coconut flour, sugar, salt and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl until well blended. Using the beater/paddle, mix in yeast.
3. In separate bowl, mix together the bananas, egg, coconut milk and ½ cup warm water until well blended.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with the coconut oil. Mix on medium speed until everything is well blended. If the dough seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon additional water at a time, until mixture is smooth but not wet. Beat on medium high for 5 minutes.
5. Spoon the dough into the prepared pan only half full. Spray the top of the dough with baking spray. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the top. Spray a piece of plastic wrap and loosely cover the bread. Place the dough in a warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes or until it rises just a ¼ inch from the top of the pan.
6. Bake bread in preheated oven on the middle rack for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove bread from the pan and cool on a rack.