This recipe was originally published in 2010.
Easy and Delicious
Wild rice is actually a grass seed that’s gluten free and high in protein, B vitamins and minerals. This stress-free side dish is low in calories.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Simple, Delicious Solutions for Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cooking (Special Eats) by Sueson Vess.
- 1 quart water
- 1½ cups wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- 3 tablespoons minced carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups gluten-free vegetable broth, chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2In a large saucepan, boil water. Add wild rice and return to boil uncovered for 6 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
3While rice is cooking, sauté vegetables in olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet for 3 minutes. Add partially cooked rice. Stir in broth and herbs.
4Bring mixture to a simmer on top of the stove. Cover and place skillet in preheated oven to bake for 30 to 35 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf before serving.