Easy-to-eat is the theme of this picnic recipe. These simple pops are little grab-and-go apple pies.
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
½ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if already in your flour blend)
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter alternative
2 tablespoons shortening
2-3 tablespoons cold water (or 1½ tablespoons vodka + 2-3 tablespoons cold water)
– Milk of choice, for brushing crust
Popsicle sticks or tongue depressors
Demerara sugar or sugar, for sprinkling
2-3 crisp apples
⅛ cup granulated cane sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, more for soaking apples
1. To make dough, whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening using a pastry cutter or the flat paddle attachment on a stand mixer or food processor. Add water gradually to make the consistency you need to form a ball. (Err on the side of wet rather than crumbly but dough should not be sticky.) Form dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside on the counter for 30 minutes while you make the filling.
2. To make filling, peel, core and slice apples. You should have about 2 cups.While slicing, place cut apples in a bowl with cold water and 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or lemon juice to keep slices from browning. Drain apples and toss with remaining filling ingredients. Set aside so juices form while you roll out the crust.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
4. Dust work surface and rolling pin with cornstarch or potato starch. Roll out dough to ⅛ to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 4-inch cookie cutter, cut shapes in dough and place them on prepared cookie sheets. Gather dough scraps and roll out more shapes. For each pie pop, you should have 2 matching cut-out shapes.
5. Place a dollop of fruit filling in the center of one of each pair. Allow a ½-inch border between filling and edge. Dampen border with a moist finger and lay matching shape on top, pressing down on the center gently with the palm of your hand and gently pressing edges to seal.
6. Brush with milk of choice. Sprinkle demerara or granulated sugar on tops. Cut a small slit or two in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape during baking.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake 10 minutes. Remove to cool before constructing pops.
8. To make pops, gently insert a popsicle stick into the seam where crust comes together. Insert stick 1 to 2 inches or until pop is stable.
Each serving contains 203 calories, 11g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 8g sugars, 1g protein, 16Est GL.