The Winter Fancy Food Show is one of my favorite expos of the year. It’s an industry-only event for specialty food manufacturers, retailers, and press. While it’s not a gluten-free show specifically, it does feature many of the hottest new gluten-free products that consumers will start to see on the shelves soon.
While I could not attend myself this year, I stayed huddled close to my computer, stalking the #wffs15 hashtag on Twitter and Instagram, attempting to find you guys the most exciting new gluten-free items found at the show. I’d like to thank Sharon Wong from Nut Free Wok for her great reporting from the show floor and helping me find some great gluten-free winners!
There were some, shall I say, entertaining items from the show, like artichoke water, Hello Kitty Matcha Green Tea Marshmallows, Tabasco chocolate, Chicken & Waffles saltwater taffy (bonus: Taffy Town’s factory is gluten-free and nut-free), champagne jellybeans from Jelly Belly (bonus: they are gluten-free, peanut-free, and dairy-free), and even a ketchup fountain (thanks to Barefoot Provisions for this Instagram photo). The Winter Fancy Foods Show is where I like to find the weird of the weird – but it’s always nice to see that sometimes the strangest items are also safe to eat for us with celiac or food allergies!
Here are some of my favorite finds from all of the media coverage:
- Coconut Bliss Chocolate Bars from Luna & Larry’s will be available across the US and Canada beginning in spring. These are gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and non-GMO project verified.
- SuperButter was mentioned in the LA Times as one of the best things they ate. Lucky for us, all SuperButter products are peanut, tree nut (including coconut), dairy, egg, soy and gluten free and are produced in an major allergen free facility
- Republic of Tea Cinnamon Toast HiCAF tea is new, and is gluten-free. While I know I can make a gluten-free toast with cinnamon on it, I’m excited to drink this new flavor of tea and dream about Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.
- Smart Flour hinted at new varieties of their products launching early 2015, but I’m not sure if they are hinting at new pizza crusts or frozen pizzas.
- Walker’s Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies are back, and now there are three gluten-free varieties. Unfortunately, they are full of delicious butter (unfortunate for someone like me who can’t do dairy anymore).
- GimMe Sushi Nori wraps are certified gluten-free, Non-GMO Project Verified and USDA organic. These wraps can help you create your own sushi or wraps at home in a safe environment.
- One of the top trends at the Winter Fancy Food Show, via NewHope360, is bean protein. This trend is seen in my next pick, The Good Bean chips, an extension of their existing bean-centric product line. These chips are certified gluten-free, vegan (some flavors), and non-GMO. My top pick has to be the BBQ Bacon bean chip with sweet potato and quinoa. These chips are corn-free and have 4 grams of protein per serving.
- On top of the launch of their new Lookie Cookie, Lucy’s new Brownie Crisps will launch starting March (according to a twitter conversation I had with Dr. Lucy’s people) and will hopefully be nationwide! Thanks to Nut Free Wok for snapping this photo!
Luckily, Winter Fancy Foods Show is not only show out there, and I will attend National Products Expo West in March to find new gluten-free and food-allergy friendly products for readers.
What would you like to see on the show floor?
Originally posted January 2015