Who doesn’t like pancakes? They’re adorable little pan-cooked cakes that you can top with virtually anything. Want ’em gluten-free? Read on.
People typically think of pancakes as breakfast food. Maybe it’s because the Ancient Greeks served pancakes made from flour, butter, eggs, olive oil, and curdled milk for breakfast. But in several nations around the world, they also serve as lunch or dinner fare. I think we should get on board!
There are so many ways, after all, to eat pancakes. Here are just a few:
• Sweet: Topped with cream, syrup, powdered sugar, honey, or fruit.
• Savory: Topped with meats, cheeses, fried veggies.
• In a blanket: Wrapped around sausage or bacon.
• Pancake bites: Cooked in mini-muffin tins.
• Mock cake: Layered with frosting or sliced fruit.
• Bread: Use two pancakes, like bread slices, and make a sandwich or grilled cheese sandwich.
Adding to their versatility is the fact that pancakes come in different shapes and sizes, depending on origin; they may be flat or thick, square or round. But one consistency in pancakes from country to country is that they traditionally are starch-based foods that include oil, milk, and eggs.
The good news for those with food allergies is that they can be made with non-gluten starches and flours or dairy-free and often egg-free ingredients, and yet they still yield delicious fluffy pancakes.
With that in mind, here are my top gluten-free (and often allergen-friendly) pancake mixes.
√ Enjoy Life Foods Pancake & Waffle Mix: I had the pleasure of trying Enjoy Life Foods’ Pancake and Waffle Mix when it was first released. I love the packaging, the easy instructions, and the fact that I only had to add 3 tablespoons of oil and some water. The pancakes came out fragrant, fluffy, moist, and enjoyable. This mix definitely has a permanent place in my pantry. All Enjoy Life Foods products are produced in a dedicated facility and free from the top eight food allergens, making them ideal for people with multiple food allergies.
√ The Cravings Place All-Purpose Pancake & Waffle Mix: I found this mix at my local health foods market when I was looking for a quick and easy pancake mix to take camping. All products from The Craving Place are produced in dedicated facility free from gluten, wheat, dairy, nuts, peanuts, and eggs. I was a bit skeptical because a this mix isn’t pre-sweetened and because you only have to add water. After trying it, I was pleasantly surprised at the fluffy texture and smooth flavor. I would recommend this mix to anyone looking for something quick and simple.
√ Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix, Gluten Free: I received a sample of Pamela’s Pancake Mix in a gluten-free food box a few months back. My daughter (age 10) wanted to have pancakes one morning and asked if she could make them. The instructions were simple enough that she successfully mixed up the batter and cooked the pancakes herself. The pancakes were fluffy and sweet. Both of my girls gave Pamela’s two thumbs up.
Beyond those three, there’s a seemingly endless number of pancake mixes out there. The following mixes are widely available and are certified gluten-free. This list is not comprehensive and may not include every gluten-free pancake mix available, but it’s a start.
Gluten-Free Pancake Mixes:
- 1-2-3 Gluten Free: Allie’s Awesome Buckwheat Pancakes
- Arrowhead Mills Organic Pancake & Waffle Mix, Multigrain
- Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Pancake & Baking Mix
- Birch Benders Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix (they also make a gluten-full version)
- Bob’s Red Mill Pancake Mix
- Bisquick Gluten Free Pancake and Baking Mix
- Cherrybrook Kitchen Pancake & Waffle Mix, Gluten Free Dreams
- gFJules Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Gluten Free Pantry Instant Pancake Mix
- Glutino Gluten Free Instant Pancake Mix
- Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix with Milled Flax Seed
- King Arthur Flour Pancake Mix, Gluten Free
- Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Living Now Gluten-Free Baking and Pancake Mix
- Maple Grove Farms of Vermont All Natural Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Namaste Foods Waffle & Pancake Mix
- Pamela’s Bakery Baking & Pancake Mix
- Wild Roots Ancient Grain Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
Want to create your own pancakes or need a great recipe to start? I asked my blogger friends to give me their favorite recipes. Here’s a look at their own favorite recipes for their favorite pancakes!
Gluten-free Oatmeal Blender Pancakes from Faithfully Gluten Free
Easiest Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes from Raia’s Recipes
Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Pancakes from Strength & Sunshine
Kelsey’s Chocolate Chip Pancakes from What the Fork Food Blog
Gingerbread Pancakes & Gingerbread Pancake Mix from EA Stewart
Banana Pecan Pancakes with Brown Butter Syrup from There is Life After Wheat
Gluten-Free Pancake Bites from Gluten-Free Palate
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes from Only Taste Matters
Gluten Free Granola Pancakes from GF Jules
Gluten Free Dutch Baby Skillet Pancake with Cinnamon Apples from The Skinny Chef
Greek Yogurt Pancakes from I Am Celiac
Gluten Free Coconut and Pecan Pancakes from Fearless Dining
Fluffy Gluten Free Pancakes from Allergy Free Alaska
Lazy Morning Pancakes for Two from Johnna’s Kitchen
Buttermilk Pancakes from My Gluten-Free Kitchen
Blueberry Pancakes from Flippin’ Delicious
Fluffy Gluten Free Pancakes from gFJules
Now it’s your turn. What’s your favorite pancake mix? Use the “Comments” section below to let us know.
Chrystal Carver is author of Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking/Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less! She’s also the recipe developer and writer behind glutenfreepalate.com. She comes from a family with a history of cooking and baking and has been an avid baker since she was young. Carver started developing gluten-free recipes in 2009, when her daughters both tested positive for non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI). Connect with Chrystal on Facebook,Twitter, and at http://www.glutenfreepalate.com.
Originally posted October 2015