Use leftover turkey to make delicious gluten-free enchiladas – can be easily made dairy-free too!
We always seem to have leftovers at the end of December but we don’t quite know what to do with them all. We freeze some meat from the big day, but then pull it out to defrost and question what we’re going to make with it. Sandwiches? Again? Not this time. This time we’re pulling out the turkey and making leftover holiday turkey enchiladas with Hatch Chile Company products.
Hatch Chile Company makes certified gluten-free sauces and spices like green chiles and jalapeños. We stock our kitchen with these products year-round. It’s a great way to spice up leftovers – like this recipe – or create new family favorites, like Taco Tuesdays and Enchiladas Everyday!
- 1 can/4 oz Hatch Chile Company Chopped Green Chiles – mild
- 1 can/15 oz Hatch Chile Company Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 pounds cooked turkey, cut in ½ “ cubes
- 2 handfuls of cilantro, divided
- 12 small organic corn tortillas (always check to make sure they are just using corn!) or 6 gluten-free flour tortillas (try Toufayan Bakeries or Mission brands)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onions or chives
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or dairy-free cheese of choice (try Follow Your Heart, Daiya or So Delicious Dairy Free)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped black olives (optional)
- sour cream, to taste (optional) or dairy-free alternative (like Follow Your Heart)
- non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl mix the turkey, ½ cup Red Enchilada Sauce, Chopped Green Chiles, and half of the cilantro.
- Spray the non-stick canola cooking spray onto a 9’x12’ baking dish.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of the turkey mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll the tortillas and place the tortilla, seam side down, in the dish.
- Top the tortillas with remaining Red Enchilada Sauce, onions, tomato, olives (if using) and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until enchiladas are hot and bubbly.
- Use spatula and put hot enchiladas on the plates and garnish with lettuce, half of the cilantro, and sour cream (if using).
- Serve hot.
This recipe is so easy to make with modifications. Do you have extra chicken instead of turkey – easy! Don’t like red sauce? That’s an easy change – try their certified gluten-free green enchilada sauce! Don’t like cilantro? Try topping with fresh avocados instead! As long as you’re using Hatch Chile Company enchilada sauce you’re bound to have an amazing meal!
Originally posted December 2017