Vegan Yeast-Free Quinoa Bread
MAKES 1 LOAF
The leavening in this recipe activates quickly. As soon as the ingredients are combined, spoon the batter into the pan and bake immediately. Recipe created by Rebecca Reilly.
2 cups gluten-free high-fiber flour blend
2 cups gluten-free high-protein flour blend
¼ cup golden flax meal
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons baking powder
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
½ cup cooked whole-grain quinoa or millet, cooked accord- ing to package instructions
1½ cups sparkling cider, apple cider or apple juice concentrate
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup oil of choice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Milk of choice, for topping
2 tablespoons quinoa flakes, for topping
Oil spray, for topping
Rice flour or cornmeal for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x4-inch bread pan and sprinkle with cornmeal or rice flour.
2. Blend together the flour blends, flax meal, salt, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl until well combined. Fold in cooked quinoa.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cider, applesauce, oil, honey and vinegar.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together on medium speed using the beater/paddle attachment until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Pour dough into prepared bread pan. Brush the top with milk of choice, sprinkle with quinoa flakes and lightly spray with oil.
6. Loosely cover bread pan with parchment paper or oiled foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the paper and bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is brown and internal temperature reaches 200 degrees. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then lift the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool.
Each slice contains: 225 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 47g carbo-hydrate, 577mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4g protein