Gluten-Free Raspberry Lemon Stuffed French Toast
You can prepare this Gluten-Free Raspberry Lemon Stuffed French Toast a day ahead and reheat just before eating. This recipe can be made with egg replacement*.
12 (½-inch thick) slices challah bread or other gluten-free bread
2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free alternative, melted
-Powdered sugar, for garnish
-Pure maple syrup
1¼ cups fresh or frozen raspberries, more for garnish
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Cream Cheese Filling
4 ounces low-fat cream cheese or dairy-free cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1¼ cups milk of choice
2 large eggs*
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
-Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons sugar
-Zest of 1 lemon
1. Cut each slice of challah bread diagonally in evenly sized halves. Set aside.
2. To make Raspberry Sauce, combine raspberries, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a slow simmer, stirring frequently. Cook until berries soften and create a sauce. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. To make Cream Cheese Filling, beat cream cheese with brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs*, vanilla and salt. Beat to combine.
5. Arrange half the bread slices in a single layer in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread Cream Cheese Filling evenly over each slice. Top each with an equal amount of cooled Raspberry Sauce. Top with a second slice of bread. Gently pour milk mixture over the bread and let stand 15 minutes. Turn slices over. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 8 hours.
6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
7. Remove dish from the refrigerator and uncover. Turn sandwiches over one more time.
8. To make Lemon Sugar, combine sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl. Brush top of each sandwich with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle Lemon Sugar over the top.
9. Place dish in preheated oven and bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until edges are golden. Let stand 10 minutes.
10. Arrange stuffed French toast on a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh raspberries. Serve warm with maple syrup.
*For Egg-Free French Toast, omit 2 eggs. Heat 1¼ cups milk (in the recipe) and stir in 2 tablespoons golden flax meal. Let cool. Add 1 teaspoon baking powder, stirring to combine. Add vanilla and salt and combine. Use Egg-Free Challah Bread.
Each serving contains 588 calories, 22g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 222mg cholesterol, 487mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 20g sugars, 14g protein, 51Est GL.