Gluten-Free Crusty Parker House Rolls
MAKES 36 ROLLS
2¼ teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water (about 110°F)
1 teaspoon + ¼ cup sugar, divided
3½ cups Mary’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend, more for
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
1 cup milk of choice
¼ cup melted butter, melted vegetable shortening or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 large egg*, room temperature
1-1½ teaspoons coarse or kosher salt, optional
3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing tops, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan (with low sides) with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment or a food processor, combine yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand 10 minutes until a foamy head forms.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together Mary’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend and xanthan
4. In a small saucepan, heat milk until it’s lukewarm to touch. Add ¼ cup melted butter, ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Remove from heat. Add to yeast mixture, stirring or pulsing to combine. (Milk mixture should be about 110°F, not hot, so as not to kill yeast).
5. Add egg to wet ingredients, mixing until combined.
6. Add flour mixture a little at a time, mixing together until dough forms.
7. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Using only as much gluten-free flour as needed to handle the dough, roll each part into a rectangle about 12x6 inches. Cut dough into 4x2-inch rectangles. Brush each rectangle with some melted butter, if desired. Fold 4-inch side of dough over the top and pinch edges to seal. Place rolls touching edges in prepared sheet pan. Let rise in a warm place 45 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Place in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Brush tops with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired.
Each roll contains 94 calories, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 12mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g sugars, 1g protein, 10Est GL.
Makes 1 Cup
MAKES 6 CUPS
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each serving contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.
Living Without contributor Mary Capone (bellaglutenfree.com) is author of The Gluten-Free Italian Cookbook and creator of Bella Gluten-Free allergy-friendly baking mixes. To buy this cookbook, click here.