Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Noodle Kugel
Apricots and golden raisins pair deliciously in this holiday comfort food but other dried fruits work just as well. Stick with the quantities for noodles and liquid or the kugel may be too dry. Serve kugel warm from the oven or gently reheat it in a low oven (cover the dish with foil to keep it moist). For best results, do not replace eggs with an egg substitute.
6 ounces wide gluten-free rice noodles
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup golden raisins
10 ounces sour cream or dairy-free sour cream
6 whole large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free butter alternative, melted
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra for sprinkling on top
½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. Break rice noodles into short pieces. Cook noodles in salted boiling water until just barely al dente, no more than 4 minutes. Rinse in cold water. Drain well.
3. Chop dried apricots into raisin-sized pieces. Mix with raisins and place in a large bowl. Add the sour cream, eggs, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, salt and vanilla to the bowl. Stir until incorporated.
4. Add the rinsed noodles and fold in gently. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 35 to 45 minutes or just until it looks set, golden brown and slightly wiggly in the center. (Baking time varies depending on pan size, shape and oven temperature.)
6. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Cut into squares and serve.