Mediterranean Chicken Flatbread Pizzas
SERVES 4 TO 5
These individual pizzas have a Mediterranean vibe. Hemp oil and hemp seeds are wonderful replacements for olive oil and pine nuts in the pesto. Nutritional yeast provides a dairy-free cheesy flavor in lieu of Parmesan. Omit the chicken for a vegetarian meal. The flatbread batter can be made a day or two ahead; bring it back to room temperature before using. It can also be made with egg replacement.
1 large egg
1 cup brown rice flour
¾ cup quinoa flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh arugula
1 cup fresh basil
¼ cup hemp seeds
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
-Juice of ½ lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup hemp oil
1 pound sliced cooked chicken
½ cup sliced marinated artichoke hearts
½ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
⅓ cup chopped Kalamata olives
1. In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in brown rice flour, quinoa flour and ¼ teaspoon salt. Slowly pour in 1⅓ cups water and mix gently. Mixture should be similar in consistency to pancake batter. If batter seems too thick, stir in additional water 1 tablespoon at a time. (Don’t let batter get overly runny.) Let batter sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. To make pesto, place arugula, basil, hemp seeds, garlic, nutritional yeast (if using), lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon salt in a food processor and pulse until coarsely minced. With machine running, pour in hemp oil through the feed tube and process until combined.
3. Heat an 8-inch cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour ½ cup flatbread batter into the skillet and cook until golden brown on the underside, 2 to 3 minutes. Batter should be about ½-inch thick. If necessary, gently spread batter out with a spatula after pouring it into the pan. Flip flatbread and cook 2 minutes more or until golden on second side. Repeat with remaining batter to make 5 flatbreads.
4. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
5. Place flatbreads on a baking sheet and spread with Hemp Pesto. Top each with equal amounts of chicken, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and olives.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
Each serving contains 583 calories, 29g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 122mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 34g protein, 23Est GL.
For Egg-Free Flatbread, omit 1 egg. Add ½ teaspoon baking powder to dry ingredients in Step 1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon golden flax meal or ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons warm water. Mix well and let cool. Add this mixture in Step 1 to replace 1 egg.