Gluten-Free Parisian Lentil Salad
This simple yet elegant lentil salad is a go-to dish for parties and potlucks. Everyone will ask for the recipe. Combining protein-packed, fiber-rich lentils with fresh vegetables makes it just right for a main course. Serve cold or at room temperature.
1 pound uncooked French lentils (green or brown)
1 jar roasted red peppers, preferably
1 bunch kale, mustard greens, spinach or other
available greens (ribs removed from kale), sliced
into thin ribbons
½ Vidalia onion or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 cup raw diced vegetables of choice, such as carrots, sunchokes, baby zucchini,
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 ripe avocado, diced
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, rice vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1. Prepare lentils by cooking in plenty of salted water about 10 minutes (roughly half the time on package directions). Lentils should be al dente, not mushy. Taste a lentil to check for desired doneness before removing from heat. Drain and run cold water over lentils to stop cooking. Drain well and place in a large bowl.
2. To make Mustard Dressing, combine mustard and vinegar in a medium bowl. Whisk in olive oil.
3. Add roasted peppers, kale or other greens, onions, raw vegetables of choice and tomatoes to lentils.
4. Top with Mustard Dressing and gently mix.
5. Top with diced avocado and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
Each serving contains 348 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 13g fiber, 5g sugars, 16g protein, 19Est GL.
Food coach Sueson Vess (specialeats.com) is author of Simple, Delicious Solutions for Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Cooking (Special Eats), by Sueson Vess. Click here to purchase.