Lemon-Glazed Carrot Cake
Carrots take center stage in this hearty whole-grain cake. Instead of the traditional cream cheese frosting, it’s topped with a light lemon glaze.
2½ cups Living Without’s All Purpose Blend
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1½ cups sugar or evaporated cane juice
6 tablespoons coconut oil, softened or organic, non-hydrogenated shortening
½ cup unsweentened applesauce
½ cup flaxseed gel*
1½ cups coconut milk beverage or dairy-free milk of choice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1½ tablespoons lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. Combine flour blend, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Place sugar and softened coconut oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat 5 minutes to cream sugar and coconut oil together, scraping down sides of the bowl.
4. Add applesauce, flaxseed gel, milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed to combine, about 1 minute.
5. Add dry ingredients and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
6. Add grated carrots and blend 30 seconds more, just to combine.
7. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Place in preheated oven and bake 30 to 34 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. While the cake is cooling, prepare Lemon Glaze by mixing confectioners’ sugar with 3 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Add in remaining lemon juice slowly, as needed, until desired consistency is reached. Stir in lemon zest.
9. Spread a thick layer of glaze on the top of the first cake layer to create a thin filling. Place other cake layer over filling. Then drizzle or pipe remaining glaze over the top of the cake.
Each serving contains 275 calories, 6g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 35g sugars, 2g protein, 35 Est GL.