Gluten-Free Green Beans with Onion Rings
SERVES 8 TO 10
Here’s an old family favorite made new. Gluten-free soy sauce brightens this dish, which is topped with crispy oven-baked onion rings.
1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into
½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
½ teaspoon baking powder
-Dash of pepper
½ cup milk or dairy-free milk of choice
-Sea salt, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
-Black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Separate onion slices into rings.
3. Combine flour blend, baking powder and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk milk into dry ingredients, blending well to make a batter.
4. Dip an onion ring into the batter and coat it evenly. Transfer coated ring to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining onion rings. Sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Place onion rings in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet and flip onion rings over. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes or until rings are golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, place olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add green beans, gluten-free soy sauce and pepper. Sauté green beans, stirring them every few minutes until al dente (crisp but tender), about 12 to 15 minutes.
7. Transfer beans to a serving platter. Top with baked onion rings. Serve warm.