Green Beans with Radicchio and Caramelized Onions
This dish is great at room temperature, which simplifies meal preparation. The dressing can be made two or three days ahead and the beans cooked the night before; drain them and refrigerate, wrapped in paper towels and sealed in a plastic bag.
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup Sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoons minced shallot
1½ tablespoons minced fresh thyme
¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt or to taste
-Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1½ pounds green beans (preferably blue lake), trimmed
2 red onions, cut into ½-inch thick wedges
1 (10- to 12-ounce) radicchio, cut into quarters, cored
1. Place mustard in a small bowl and whisk in vinegar. Gradually whisk in oil. Mix in shallot and thyme. Season dressing with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. Submerge in cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.
3. Preheat the broiler. Arrange onion wedges cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the top side of the onions with dressing. Broil until onions begin to brown, 8 to 12 minutes.
4. Slice radicchio wedges crosswise ½-inch thick. Place in a medium bowl, add enough dressing to season to taste (about 3 tablespoons) and toss to coat. Transfer radicchio to a large, shallow serving bowl.
5. Place green beans in a medium bowl, add enough dressing to season to taste (about ¼ cup) and toss to coat. Arrange atop the radicchio, allowing some of the radicchio to show at the edges. Arrange onions atop the green beans. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)