Gluten-Free Squash Brownies
MAKES 16 BROWNIES
Pureed winter squash gives these brownies nice moisture, added sweetness and a fudge-like texture. Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor.
¾ cup brewed hot coffee
6 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
⅓ cup unsalted butter or dairy-free alternative
¾ cup winter squash puree
⅔ cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar of choice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Place hot coffee, chocolate, cocoa powder and butter in a large bowl and let sit 5 minutes. Then stir until smooth.
3. Stir in squash puree, sugar and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring gently until combined.
5. Place batter into pan and spread out evenly. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Each serving contains 155 calories, 8g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein, 13Est GL.
Recipe by Matthew Kadey, MS, RD (muffintinmania.com), author of Muffin Tin Chef.