Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Simple Soda Bread
MAKES 1 LOAF
Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, this gluten-free, egg-free recipe delivers great flavor and contains high-nutrient, protein-packed flours. It can be made dairy free with great results. Like most soda breads (not just gluten-free ones), it tastes best when it’s warm, so serve it shortly after it comes out of the oven. Use any leftovers to make croutons or breadcrumbs.
Whole-grain gluten-free cornmeal, for dusting pan
3 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 cup sorghum flour
˝ cup tapioca flour
˝ cup teff flour
2 tablespoon finely ground almonds*
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
˝ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup buttermilk or “vegan buttermilk”**
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch round baking pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
2. Put water in a small bowl and stir in ground flaxseeds. Let stand until thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Put sorghum flour, tapioca flour, teff flour, almonds, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir with a dry whisk until combined.
4. Add buttermilk and agave nectar to thickened flaxseed mixture. Stir to combine. Pour into flour mixture to make a dough and stir until just combined.
5. Use floured hands to transfer dough to prepared pan. Pat into a circle about 7 inches in diameter. Using a sharp, lightly floured knife, score the top of the dough with an “X,” cutting into the dough. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. The bread should sound hollow when tapped.
7. Transfer loaf to a rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Use an electric or serrated knife to slice into wedges. Serve warm.
**TIP To make dairy-free buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk of choice. Mix thoroughly and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before using it to replace buttermilk in your recipe.
Each serving contains 169 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 4g protein.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free (Book Publishing Company), by Laurie Sadowski.