Gluten-Free Red Curry Vegetables and Chicken
This is a great one-dish meal to make when serving a tableful of guests. To easily double the amount, spoon it over cooked jasmine rice. This recipe is versatile. It also works deliciously with shrimp (if tolerated) or as a vegan meal with marinated tofu. To vary the veggies, try adding chopped broccoli, diced carrots, chives, green beans, peas or tomatoes. Our tasters awarded it “two thumbs up.” To lower sodium, omit the optional fish sauce.
1 (14-ounce) can lite coconut milk
2 tablespoons gluten-free red curry paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 pound chopped cooked chicken breast, marinated tofu or large shrimp, peeled and
de-veined (if tolerated)
1 cup assorted vegetables, such as snap peas, bamboo shoots and sliced red bell pepper
¼ cup fresh Thai or Italian basil, optional
2 tablespoons gluten-free fish sauce, optional (if tolerated)
1. Bring coconut milk to simmer in a large skillet on medium heat. Stir in curry paste and sugar until well blended; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
2. Stir in chopped chicken and vegetables. Cook until chicken is heated through and vegetables are tender-crisp. (If using shrimp, cook for 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turns pink and vegetables are tender-crisp.) Stir in basil and fish sauce, as desired. Serve hot.
Each serving contains 280 calories, 8g fat, 4g sat fat, 12g carbohydrates, 95mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 2g fiber, 36g protein.
TIP For spicier curry, add additional red curry paste, to taste. Want even more zing? Place 2 pieces each lemon grass, lime leaves, galangal and bird eye chilies with the curry paste. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove all pieces with slotted spoon before adding chicken (or shrimp or Marinated Tofu) and vegetables.
For a vegan dish, substitute this tofu for chicken (or shrimp) in the recipe above. Serve on Red Curry Vegetables or as a side.
3 tablespoons gluten-free tamari sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 pound firm tofu
Gluten-free flour or flour blend, for coating
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, for frying
1. To make marinade, mix together tamari sauce, lemon juice, ginger and brown sugar.
2. Cut tofu into ½-inch cubes. Place in marinade and marinate for 1 hour.
3. Prepare Curried Vegetables according to the recipe above, leaving out chicken or shrimp.
4. Sprinkle gluten-free flour on a plate and dip each tofu cube into the flour. Cover all sides.
5. In a large skillet, in batches if necessary, fry coated tofu cubes until brown.
Recipes courtesy of Thai Kitchen. Reprinted with permission.