Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mock Matzo
"Let's face it. Regular matzo isn't exactly a gourmet treat," says food editor Beth Hillson. Yet her family quickly devours this Mock Matzo, a recipe she adapted to be more allergy friendly. These crackers can be enjoyed all year. They will keep for several days in an airtight container.
⅔ cup potato starch
⅔ cup almond meal or brown rice flour
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, margarine or vegetable
6 tablespoons warm water
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add water, a little bit at a time, combining until dough forms a ball. (Add additional 1 to 2 tablespoons water if using brown rice flour.) Knead well. If dough is sticky, sprinkle with a little more potato starch while kneading.
4. Break off small pieces and place on a sheet of lightly oiled plastic wrap or parchment paper. Press with your fingers or roll until flat and thin. Prick rows of holes in each matzo with a fork.
5. Place matzo on prepared cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Thinner matzo can over-bake quickly so keep an eye on it.