Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
Classic Gluten-Free Easter Breakfast Treat
MAKES 9 BUNS
Back by popular demand, this recipe is a delicious gluten-free version of the classic yeast rolls enjoyed during the Easter season. It can be made dairy free and egg free with good results. Icing drizzled across the top in an X is traditional, representing the cross.
3 cups Living Without's gluten-free High-Protein
Flour Blend (slightly more flour may be needed;
see **Thickening Tip below)
⅓ cup sugar
2 packages rapid-rise yeast
½ cup powdered milk of choice*
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup warm water**
¼ cup light olive oil or melted coconut oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten***
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 cup raisins
¼ cup diced candied lemon peel, optional
¼ cup diced candied orange peel, optional
3 tablespoons melted butter or shortening of choice, for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch cake pan.
2. Mix flour blend, sugar, yeast, powdered milk, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon together.
3. Add water, oil, eggs and vinegar and beat for 5 minutes.
4. Mix in raisins and candied fruit peels, if desired.
5. Scrape dough out onto a floured cookie sheet. Cut the dough into 8 or 9 pieces and gently shape each into a ball. Place one ball of dough in the center of prepared cake pan. Loosely arrange the remaining balls around it, leaving room for buns to rise. Brush the buns with melted butter and cut an X into the top of each bun. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Place buns in preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. When the buns are cool, drizzle icing over the scored X.
- Just keep adding the protein flour (a spoonful at a time) to the dough until it is barely manageable and put it in the pan to rise;
- Use only ¾ cup warm water. Then use an ice cream scoop (the kind that has the little arm to push it out) that’s been dipped in cornstarch. This makes 12 nice-size buns in a 9x13-inch pan.
***To make Egg-Free Hot Cross Buns, combine 4½ tablespoons applesauce + 1½ teaspoons baking powder + 2¼ teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer + 3 tablespoons water in a blender. Blend briefly until frothy. Mix with liquids in the above recipe.
1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons milk of choice (cow, rice, soy, hemp, almond)
¼ teaspoon vanilla
Whisk powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together until smooth. Add more milk if icing is too thick.
Each bun contains 467 calories, 13g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 81mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.
MAKES 4¼ CUPS
1¼ cups bean flour (of choice), chickpea flour or soy flour
1 cup arrowroot starch, cornstarch or potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup white or brown rice flour
Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate in a covered container until used.